Since November 2017 I've worked with approximately 45 SAT, ACT, and SSAT students. References are available upon request.
February 8th 2014 ACT score: 35/36 (99.7th percentile)
November 3rd 2018 SAT score: 1520/1600 (99.5th percentile)
Online lessons: $77.5/hour ($65/hour for bulk purchase).
From November 2017 to December 2018 I taught SAT, ACT and SSAT classes for Aurorae Young Learning. I was in charge of curriculum development for these classes.
In the table below I compiled the estimated cost of private SAT/ACT tutoring for some of the main national and Seattle-area companies.
To achieve large score improvements on the SAT and ACT, it is imperative for students to do the homework. Score improvements of 4+ on the ACT and 180+ on the SAT are typical when students complete all of the homework I assign. To this end, I ask that students and parents treat SAT/ACT preparation as the top academic concern while they are engaged in it. Let's do some math:
- I recommend 12 to 24 hours of SAT or ACT tutoring for most students.
- I assign approximately 2 hours of homework for every hour of SAT or ACT tutoring, which is 24 to 48 total hours of homework.
- That comes out to 36-72 hours spent on SAT/ACT preparation, which should result in a substantial boost to a student's SAT or ACT score.
OK. Now, here are the things that colleges care about most:
- Maintaining a high GPA and taking challenging courses during high school (40%)
- SAT and/or ACT scores (30%)
- Extracurriculars (15%)
- Application essays (15%)
If we assume that high school students spend on average 7 hours a day physically present at school, as well as 1.5 hours a day on homework, for 180 days a year, for 4 years, we calculate that the typical high school student spends approximately 6,000 hours on high school. And depending on the commitment, students spend anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand hours on extracurriculars.
SAT/ACT preparation is the quickest and most straightforward way to improve a student's chances of acceptance to any and all colleges. Students who prioritize test preparation (by doing all of the assigned homework) will attain their goals.
SAT Registration Dates
ACT Registration Dates